A few months ago I stumbled upon an amusing concept: eating in the dark. Of course the French name Dans Le Noir drew me in (see my about page!), as well as the chance to have a three course meal with matching wines – something about matching wines makes me swoon (!).
I cannot recommend it highly enough, go with friends, an empty stomach and a open mind.
Things to know:
There are branches open across the world.
- I visited the Auckland branch on the 22nd December 2017. It was magical.
It will be completely dark.
- Something I enjoyed doing was guessing if my eyes where open, and then checking with my hands. Surprise!
You will be at a group table with strangers.
- As well as anyone you booked with of course.
Leave anything that produces a light at home or in your bag.
- Does your watch glow?
Your waiters are blind!
- They are the best suited to working in the dark and helping you navigate it, they know all the tips and tricks – trust them.
The food will taste divine.
- Even better because you cannot see it.
Everyone gets chatty
- The weird situation gets everyone laughing, and the darkness gives a sense of anonymity – so go ahead and share some secrets.
Time moves very quickly
- To begin with we thought the courses where being served very quickly – then we left and checked the clock. We had arrived at 7.00pm and where leaving at 11.00pm!